Used technologies: C#, Silverlight, T-SQL, SQL Server
Project URL: office.microsoft.com
Microsoft is one of the first software maker company in the world. The Office division is its flagship business, generating billions of revenue each year.
Among Office revenue, more than 60% is generated by the different localized versions of Office worldwide.
OISG, for Office International Software Group, is in charge of the localization process.
I was more specifically working in the Automation And Tools team inside the OISG Test division.
My team was in charge of developping tools for automating the Office products tests on localized versions.
What was my role in this project?
I was in charge of improving an existing system and adding a number of new data sources to the existing process.
I was in charge of all the steps of the development: From user needs analysis to design and imlementation.
Here is an overview of what I did during my 3 months at Microsoft:
The main challenges
- Refactoring the database storage model of business data
- Migrating the data from the former storage design to the new one and ensuring its consistency
- Changing the core of the existing tool to make it ready for multiple sources of information
- Improving granularity and flexibility for the current implementation
- Adding a new source of information by performing "UI Capture" during the run of the Office Functional Automation tests
- Making frontend ready for displaying this new data and data from other sources in the future
- Automated tests on my work and a UI capture library for Metro application from another project
I faced at Microsoft was to understand the whole process of localization of Office and its related issues.
I had to be really adaptive
during my work at Microsoft to be able to deal with existing codebase
, projects changes
, new technologies
, etc. ... and still be productive.
Skills I acquired or used with this project
- Working with existing (undocumented) codebase
- Team work
- Feature designing and scheduling
- Data migrations
- SQL Server 2008
- Specfications writing
- Automated testing
- Internal tools
- Team Foundation Server (TFS) version control
- Windows 8
- Metro applications
- Etc. ...